“Laughter is definitely a healing experience, and we’re not talking metaphorically, we’re speaking absolutely literally. Laughter is one of the best medicines you can have.” Quote by Deepak Chopra
More on Human Aging and the Mind Body Connection. Humor and the Benefits of Laughter:
* Like a mild workout- A good hearty laugh causes your pulse and respiration rate to increase, your blood pressure to go up and many of your muscles to stretch. This increases the blood supply to the body and increasing the amount of oxygen to the body’s tissues.
* Promotes relaxation- After your body stretches the muscles and the blood flow increases to the muscles of the body, you feel a sense of relaxation. In fact, muscle physiologists have found that this relaxed response can last as long as forty five minutes.
* Encourages social interactions- an individual that has a sense of humor and laughs is an individual others want to be around. Laughing is contagious. It is a powerful reaction that can deescalate a difficult situation, can dissipate anger and bring families together. It is the stuff good memories are made of. Laughing with others makes everyone feel good and experience an elevated mood. This can create decrease the stress of all involved and enhance the social interaction as well.
* Promotes an increased pain threshold- when we laugh the increase of production of endorphins also acts as a pain reliever. Studies show that individuals suffering pain experience pain relief after watching comedy.
* Maintains blood sugar levels- it has been discovered that individuals diagnosed with type II diabetes experience smaller spikes in their blood levels after eating when they enjoy and experience laughter after their meal. Scientists feel that the increase in use of the abdominal muscles and utilizing more energy may attribute to a more stable blood sugar level.